Kate and Tara discuss climate change and what the three provincial parties have committed to doing to fight it. Kate interviews John Robinson, a Professor at the Munk School of Global Affairs and the School of the Environment at the University of Toronto; an Honorary Professor with the Institute for Resources, Environment & Sustainability at The University of British Columbia; and an Adjunct Professor with the Copenhagen Business School. He explains carbon pricing and his optimistic view of how the world can combat the effects of climate change.
PARTY PLATFORM BREAKDOWN
- Doug Ford is firmly against any kind of carbon tax, though he has stated that he does believe in man-made climate change
- he is opposed to the Liberal’s current cap and trade system, as he worries it restricts businesses in Ontario and encourages them to move to other markets
- instituted a cap and trade carbon pricing system in September 2017
- has raised $2.4 billion in proceeds as of April 2018 and was praised internationally
- endorse the Liberal cap and trade system